Washing your hair with unfiltered tap water can not only make your hair hard to manage, but it can cause big damage to it as well. Additives in the water can adversely affect the health of your hair even by preventing further growth while leaving you with dull, flat hair.
Long, beautiful locks were much more common before cities began to put chemicals in the water. Beginning in the early 1900s, cities started permanently adding chlorine and various other chemicals to the public water supply to disinfect and “purify” the water in use. Regular exposure to chlorinated water can cause significant damage to hair by stripping hair of oil. The oil in hair is what protects it from over drying and in turn prevents cracking and splitting easily. With the right approach, healthy hair can once again be possible.
Identifying what kind of hair is most at risk for chlorine related hair damage can help you figure out what home remedy is best to add the healthy glow back into your hair.
· Color and chemically treated hair, dry hair, fine hair, and previously damaged hair face the largest risks for chlorine damage. People with this type of hair definitely use a filter to remove chlorine, should not be wash their hair often, and should eat plenty of protein rich foods and vitamins.
· For those with oily hair, unfiltered water strips your scalp on a daily basis of natural oils. This leaves your body thinking it needs to make up for the oils lost and it does so by producing more oils to protect the scalp and hair, leaving you with over oily hair.
· Long hair is particularly at risk for hair damage, as the effects of unfiltered water will leave hair vulnerable to split ends. Instead, using natural oils in your hair will help keep hair healthy and long.
· Curly hair is difficult to manage and keep healthy even without the chemicals in water. It should not be shampooed on a daily basis to prevent too many minerals from situating themselves into the dense hair fibers.
Below is a list of healthy habits to get glowing, perfect hair:
1. Massage your scalp: Massaging your scalp will increase your blood circulation levels going to your hair follicles and will help your hair grow faster and smoother. Try the Aquasana Shower Filter with Massaging Wand to get the best results.
2. Filter your water: Filtering water with the Aquasana Shower Filter will take the chlorine, chloramines, and hardness that contributes to the stripping of oils out of your water while leaving in the healthy minerals that help your hair grow strong. The water will also help your shampoos and conditioners work better on your hair, as the products will also be stripped of their abilities when paired with the harsh chemicals in tap water.
3. Eat healthy: Eating the right amount of proteins, minerals, vitamins, and nutrients to keep your hair strong are vital to begin taking care of your hair. For example, hair is mostly composed of protein, making it an important factor in how fast and long your hair grows.
4. Use natural remedies: Using natural remedies over store bought products to treat your hair will leave your scalp and hair thanking you. Just as eating healthy can provide the right nutrients for your hair, homemade cleansers can help boost hair growth. Try the remedies below for a refreshing new cleanser that won’t dry out your scalp and will jumpstart your road to beautiful hair.
· For dry scalp: Eggs are high in protein and they provide vibrancy to dried out hair. In a large bowl, mix two egg yolks with 1/8-cup water and two teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil. Beat until it is well mixed. Apply the mixture to damp hair after a shampoo and let sit for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water and let dry naturally.
· For oily scalp: Lemons are high in vitamins and minerals that keep excessive oils away. Squeeze one lemon for it’s juice and dilute it with one cup of warm water. After mixing it, apply to your scalp and let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water and an all-natural shampoo. Let dry naturally.
Here’s to a beautiful you!