Art Director/Design Manager
Location: Austin, Texas
Company/Location Specific Information
At Aquasana, we believe clean water and a healthy environment are the most important components to healthy living and overall well-being. Our sole focus is providing best-in-class water filtration products so every home can enjoy great-tasting, healthy water.
Aquasana is a tight-knit team with an energetic and entrepreneurial culture. We provide competitive pay and benefits, an excellent work/life balance, and a collaborative environment that allows our people to be their best. We have a budget for and encourage ongoing education. Our Austin office is conveniently located across from Pease Park, near downtown Austin, restaurants and shopping — and boasts plenty of parking.
In 2016, Aquasana was purchased by global water technology leader A. O. Smith Corporation and is part of its dynamic, rapidly-growing North America Water Treatment division.
We are looking for an Art Director to lead a creative team in developing compelling designs across the customer journey. Designs will range from mobile to web experiences, packaging, social advertising, sales collateral, photography, and video – all working to increase awareness, build a best-in-class brand, and improve the customer experience. We are looking for a candidate with strong B2C experience, packaging design expertise, digital and offline design skills, design operations knowledge, aesthetic sensibility, excellent organizational skills, and a collaborative attitude.
This role serves as a player and a coach, able to leverage strategic thinking and see the bigger picture to provide design direction and manage a team, while also delivering compelling design projects. Creativity in the latest design trends as well as innovative ways to visually communicate our message to the target audience is essential. Attention to detail in applying all elements of visual design (typography, color, iconography, layout, etc.) within a design system is a must. The right candidate will be able to partner closely with the marketing, sales and engineering teams and utilize research and customer feedback to develop creative across all customer touchpoints.
The role reports to the Director, Brand Marketing.
- Manage and develop 2 - 3 full-time designers including hiring, training, assignments, and deadlines and ensure that the marketing strategy is implemented effectively by the team. Manage contract designers on a project basis.
- Work with Director, Brand Marketing to develop and refine the Aquasana and A. O. Smith water filtration brand strategy through creative design.
- Serve as a diplomat, working with disparate internal teams and external agencies to understand business goals for design, and acting as a voice for the design team.
- Hone sharply focused creative briefs and guide visual creation of assets that are on brand, on target, and deliver results.
- Push the design team forward by surfacing processes and examples that inspire them.
- Utilize art skills and experience to implement new ideas and new projects that are on brand.
- Conceive, alongside graphic designers, materials that effectively tell our brand story.
- Create eye-catching and innovative designs for packaging, print, email, websites, social ads, and more.
- Lead design operations, including identifying gaps in our existing design process, finding ways to optimize designer workflows, leading tool selection, and defining the organization of file structure including server and creative file build outs.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience managing designers
- The perfect mix of both a process-oriented and creative mindset
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Superior organization skills, with a high-level of attention to detail
- Problem-solving skills
- Excellent design and typography skills
- Extensive experience with Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Well-rounded design experience including package design, UX, video editing, illustration, and more
- Strong proofing and production skills a must
- Comfortable writing light copy that is direct and impactful is a plus
- A collaborative environment with opportunities for learning and growth
- Competitive compensation packages
- Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans
- Company provided Basic Life and Short-Term Disability plans
- Voluntary Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability plans
- 401(k) savings plan with matching contributions
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Tuition assistance
- Employee discounts
- Flexible work hours and healthy work/life balance
ADA Disclaimer (U.S. Only)
ADA Disclaimer: In developing this job description care was taken to include all competencies needed to successfully perform in this position. However, for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) purposes, the essential functions of the job may or may not have been described for purposes of ADA reasonable accommodation. All reasonable accommodation requests will be reviewed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.