Location: Milwaukee, WI or Columbus, OH
Company: A. O. Smith
Company/Location Specific Information
A. O. Smith is the leading manufacturer of premium performance home water treatment products – a $3.7B industry (US market). We believe clean water and a healthy environment are the most important components to living and overall well-being. Our sole focus is providing best-in-class water treatment products to market for our customers and consumers.
What is great about this opportunity?
A. O. Smith is looking for a Packaging Engineer to ensure our best-in-class water treatment products arrive in-tact at their desired location.
- You would join a cohesive team that supports each other in accomplishing our shared goals in a collaborative, hardworking environment
- Consistent double-digit growth in this business unit has created high corporate visibility and many opportunities for growth and development
- Participate in the creation of water filtration products that meaningfully impact people's lives by providing access to clean drinking water
The Packaging Engineer is the subject matter expert who leads the design and implementation of packaging for new products as well as optimize and solve problems with existing ones in the retail, industrial and e-commerce environments.
- Develop packaging concepts for new products that reflect the brand, customer experience, channel shipping and test requirements while balancing use of materials, costs, usability, and product integrity.
- Use a holistic approach to optimize existing packaging designs by analyzing data (material costs, freight, labor, product damage) together with qualitative infield issues to recommend solutions
- Develop die-lines for all packaging components and finished good specifications along with and documentation, bills of materials as part of technical validation process
- Prepare, document, test and validate solutions; then roll out to deliver financial results and improved customer experience
- Manage external packaging suppliers to deliver packaging the meets specs, on time and on budget
- Collaborate with internal teams (product, engineers, marketing, production, procurement, and logistics) to successfully contribute to the development and launch of new products in an accelerated manner
- Provide training, technical support and issue/resolution through final phases of projects
- Manage multiple packaging projects and ensure that cost, quality, and schedule are established and maintained
- Be the subject matter expert on packaging design, materials, and cost trade offs
- Prepare and document designs, ensure maintenance of all bills of materials according to required specifications
- Work across multiple plant locations
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or packaging engineering is required
- 5+ years of experience in industrial or consumer packaging
- Excellent engineering problem solving with strong physics and fundamentals.
- Knowledge and understanding of packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM, ISTA, etc.)
- Demonstrable proficiency in 3D CAD software is needed or with package design software, APD, etc.
- Ability to use critical thinking skills to solve problems working independently and as part of a team
- Experience with a variety of materials, properties and tradeoffs
Competitive base salary and comprehensive benefits plans which include medical and dental insurance, company-sponsored life insurance, retirement security savings plan, short- and long-term disability programs, and tuition assistance. Other perks include employee discounts on water filtration products and a business casual dress-code.
Nearest Major Market: Milwaukee, WI or Columbus, OH
ADA Disclaimer (U.S. Only)
ADA Disclaimer: In developing this job description care was taken to include all competencies needed to successfully perform in this position. However, for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) purposes, the essential functions of the job may or may not have been described for purposes of ADA reasonable accommodation. All reasonable accommodation requests will be reviewed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.