Tips for Healthy Hair: Your Locks Will Look and Feel Great
Rejuvenate Hair the Healthy Way
Hair is a funny thing to obsess over. Some of the most famous hairstyles, like NFL player Troy Polamalu’s hair, require massive upkeep and are insured for upwards of $1 million — that’s no pocket change. Other hairstyles are so timeless and copied so endlessly that they show up in Halloween costumes, stage performances, photo shoots and more. But even for those with expensive hair insurance in their back pocket, it can be difficult to maintain. And even as people age, many find that hair grows at an alarmingly slower rate than it did in the past. Oil production of the skin slows down, contributing to dry and brittle hair. It becomes harder to manage, and it just doesn’t look as luscious and alive as it did even a couple of years ago. So more for the hair insurance.
Many people don’t realize that as soon as hair grows, it dies – making it essential to nourish your scalp and body with the right nutrients to keep hair looking and feeling healthy. Check out our list of hair issues below and see what you can do to prevent many of these hair problems.
Loss of color
Believe it or not, the color change in your hair may have more to do with an overflow of chemicals than aging. A buildup of hydrogen peroxide (a byproduct of normal chemical reactions within the body) for example, impedes on your body’s ability to produce pigment. It accumulates within the hair follicles and leaves the organs unable to produce colorful hair strands. As you age, your body’s ability to neutralize the hydrogen peroxide greatly decreases, resulting in a disruption of melanin synthesis (natural color pigment). Researchers at New York University also found that sun damage causes melanin-producing stem cells to abandon post when exposed to UV rays.
Breakage and thinning
Although nutrition and genetics play a role in it, we inadvertently do many things to our hair that leads to breakage and eventual thinning. Hair treatments such as chemical dyes, bleaching, hot ironing, blow-drying, tanning, and perms can all do permanent damage to fine hair. Over-brushing and styling hair will also leave both your hair and scalp unhappy. It’s important to replenish hair as much as it is utilized. Remember to be gentle with your hair. Let it air dry and don’t put too much tension on the scalp for too long to avoid this problem. Trim it often to prevent split ends and invest in a great organic shampoo and conditioner set.
Loss of hair
Hair loss is a very common problem that comes with age. It can occur due to the use of over-the-counter medications, stress, lifestyle changes, hormonal and nutritional deficiencies, or just plain old genetics. You’ll be relieved to hear that not all hair loss is permanent. A dramatic change in lifestyle (such as stress, surgery, or diet), under or overactive thyroid, use of medication, chemotherapy, or even an iron deficiency can cause hair loss. This is reversible in many ways through the halting of treatments, stopping the use of unnecessary medications, normalizing thyroid levels, and even waiting a couple of months for regrowth.
Hair loss supplements are a lot like weight loss supplements — they promise more than they actually do.
Hair loss supplements are a lot like weight loss supplements. They promise more than they actually do, leaving many consumers frustrated and feeling hopeless. Instead, focus on healthy, organic supplements along with a healthy diet that can help fuel hair growth, thickness, and life into your hair.
Hair, follicles, and skin all need many different kinds of oils, proteins, fats, and minerals to keep growing healthy hair. Take a look below at our best recommendations to maintain beautiful hair:
- Maintain a healthy diet: Your intake of minerals, protein, and vitamins should be equivalent your body’s use of them. Try to include more omega-3 fatty acids in your daily diet. These can be found in foods such as flaxseed, walnuts, salmon, and mackerel. Eating these foods regularly will make your hair strong.
- Castor oil & almond oil: Castor oil and almond oil do wonders for hair growth and thickness as well as for the scalp. They will help prevent dryness and brittleness while giving your hair a healthy glow.
- Silica & B supplements: Silica (horsetail) and the complete range of naturally occurring B supplements (including Biotin) will help immensely with the renewal of hair. Both work to renew hair follicles and roots. They help with hormonal balance while bonding with minerals in the body to take nutrients to the hair and skin. This ensures that the hair follicles are being supplied with all the essential nutrients they need to grow healthy hair. It’s important to remember that these supplements do not stimulate hair growth; they simply grow existing hair thicker and fuller.
- Keratin: An important supplement in the regrowth of hair, Keratin is the main fibrous component of hair. It contains organically derived elements that not only help maintain a full head of hair by balancing hormones, but it also helps boost overall health. In addition, it helps lower cholesterol and inhibits cancer growth.
- Install a shower filter: And finally, protect your hair with a shower filter—one that removes at least 90% of chlorine and other contaminants. The chlorine in your water works against your body and the nutrients you have supplied it with to age and dry out your scalp and your hair. This results in dandruff, breakage, and more damage to your hair while performing everyday activities like brushing your hair or tying it in a braid.
The right shower filter will protect your whole body from a wide range of contaminants, including ones that vaporize and are absorbed by the skin. But more than anything, the right shower filter will help you to breathe easy, and enjoy soft, full, healthy hair and skin once again.
Related to this article
Beyond Drinking Water: 5 other places you need healthy water
Considering filtering your drinking water? What about the water you’re using to shower, shave, and wash your hands? 5 places you need filtered water
Installing Your Shower Filter (it's easy!)
Showering in Aquasana filtered water restores your hair’s natural shine and strength from the inside out. And as this video shows, the shower filter is easy to install! Shower Filter Installation
10 Reasons Why Your Hair is Dry
I get asked about dry hair A LOT. Natural hair on us black folk doesn't retain moisture well, it must be assisted Help with dry hair