Your Guide to Portable, Travel-friendly Water Filters
Bottle your own, wherever you go.
They call it a number of different things, in a number of different countries. In Mexico, it’s called Montezuma’s Revenge; in India, it’s called the Delhi Belly; in Turkey, it’s called the Turkey Trots. No matter what you call it, the result is the same: travelers getting sick when they either ingest food or drink water that’s contaminated with anything from E. Coli, to Cryptosporidium, Giardia, or other bacterial pathogens. But this isn’t just something that travelers get in other countries— this happens to backpackers too, i.e. those who might drink stagnated surface water or eat food that’s been contaminated with fecal matter. Super gross.
But travelers, take note: international travel is on the rise, seeing it’s 108th consecutive month of growth, it’s also increased 3.6 percent year-over-year. An ever-expanding number of U.S. travelers are feeling some serious wanderlust — particularly Millennials— even as prices soar. And it’s not just international travel, either. Domestic travelers, like those who consider themselves “occasional campers” are camping as much as three times per year, up by 64 percent year-over-year.
That’s why if you’re ticking off your travel bucket list items this year, check our list first so you can stay ahead of the curve and take clean, filtered water with you, wherever you go.
WATER FILTERS PERFECT FOR TRAVEL
Clean water troubles while traveling are not restricted to exotic locales. The journey begins, as it often does, at the airport. Gone are the days when the TSA lets someone through with a full bottle of water. For anyone who needs more than 4 ounces of water to hydrate (read: everyone), the only options are to either shell out for a disposable bottle or bring an empty bottle in to fill up.
For those who prefer the latter option, the following are some of the best water filters for travel that, when empty, are TSA-approved. After you check in, you can fill up and filter as you go, or sip at your leisure.
- Insulated Steel Clean Water Bottle — Holding 17 ounces of liquid, this bottle has a portable travel water filter that removes over 99% of bacteria, lead, chlorine, cryptosporidium, and giardia from tap water. It can also keep your hot’s hot, and your cold’s cold for up to 24 hours. A single purchase of our BPA-free water bottles replaces more than 600 disposable water bottles.
- Borosilicate Glass Bottle — Get 550 milliliters of healthy tasting water, no matter where you are. Comes with your favorite color sleeve, it’s also lightweight and shatter-resistant for those of us who are a little on the clumsy side.
- Clean Water Bottle Filter Replacements — A lightweight and totally portable water filter, take these replacement filters with you. One cartridge can filter up to 80 gallons so you don’t get stuck in a new land with no backup.
- Stainless Steel Insulated Bottle — This bottle comes in three colors (glacier, avocado, and orange) and holds 25 ounces (or 750 milliliters). And even though wine isn’t exactly TSA-friendly, it can fit an entire bottle and is vacuum-sealed, so you can keep your hot’s hot, and cold’s cold for up to 24 hours.
“We just traveled to the island of Madeira for a one week holiday and took our Aquasana stainless steel clean water bottles with us. Did this so we could use the built-in filter throughout the whole trip. It worked quite well and we were able to refill at most airports on the travel part. On the island, we decided to carry a large bottled water container so we could refill as we toured the island. What a life-saving drinking bottle you have come up with!” – Dave, Aquasana Customer via Instagram
Pack Up Some Backup
Because sometimes the best water filters need to be packed into your checked luggage. Whether you have access to safe water or not, it’s always best to pack up some backup.
- Countertop Water Filter — Filters out 15 times more contaminants than the leading pitcher filter. The Countertop Water Filter is small, easy to hook up to any faucet, and totally travel-friendly. It uses NSF Certified Claryum technology, tested and proven to remove over 97% of chlorine and chloramines, and also reduces heavy metals, cysts like giardia and cryptosporidium, and pharmaceuticals.
- The Clean Water Machine — NSF Certified to remove more than 99 percent of lead and asbestos, 96 percent of chlorine and chloramines, plus 73 other harmful contaminants, this filter holds one gallon of water and comes with a dispenser you can lift away and pour. Or, if you don’t want to deal with the fuss, you can get your water at the push of a button. The Clean Water Machine is perfect for traveling both near and far — simply plug it into any nearby outlet. It can rest on your countertop or fit in your hotel fridge, as well.
Traveling should be about creating a lifetime’s worth of memories, checking off your bucket list items, and snapping pictures in unforgettable places — not about hiding under covers in a hotel room, sick with a travel bug. With Aquasana water filters, you can travel healthy and safely no matter what corners of the Earth you reach, because no matter where you go, you can drink with confidence.