How Often Should I Change My Whole Home and Drinking Water Filters?
Know when to order filter replacements
You’ve done your homework, talked with a plumber, budgeted it all out, and now you’re taking the final step: purchasing a water filter. The rest is pretty easy. You put the filter in and it does the rest: capturing contaminants before they cause your family harm.
However, there is a critical step after purchasing your water filter that you need to do: replace your water filter as needed.
Why filters need to be replaced
Now you might wonder why cartridges need to be replaced. It’s simple, really. If you don’t replace the cartridge in your filter, contaminants will clog the filter, leaving no room to capture any other chemicals or particles, which will then flow out along with the water.
If you don’t replace the cartridge in your filter, contaminants will clog the filter, leaving no room to capture any other chemicals or particles, which will then flow out along with the water.
This can also mean that your filter becomes a petri dish past its expiration date, acting as a bed for bacteria to grow and multiply. Imagine drinking that with your post-workout dinner.
As you rush to figure out when you bought your filter and when you should be replacing the cartridge, it is important to first know which system you have.
Determining which filtration system you have
With a wide variety of filters on the market, it’s important to note that not all replacement schedules are the same. Now, we can only speak for Aquasana, but even within our own product line, make sure you know which filtration system you have before you purchase a replacement filter.
How often water filters need to be replaced
First, there are multiple different types of filters involved in a whole house system. Let’s start with the pre-filter.
- 10” Pre-Filter: This is the standard pre-filter included with our 600,000 gallon whole house system. Replace it every two months.
- 20” Pre-Filter: This is the standard pre-filter included with our 500,000 Gallon Well Water Rhino and the 1,000,000 Gallon Rhino. It’s also an optional upgrade available for purchase at any point for the 600,000 Gallon Rhino. Replace it every two months.
- 20” x 4.5” OptimH2O Pre-Filter Cartridge: Designed specifically for the OptimH2O whole house system, this pre-filter should be replaced every six months.
Then, take a look at your Rhino filter, as it has its own replacement schedule as well:
- 500,000 Gallon Well Water Rhino System: Main filter should be replaced every five years
- 600,000 Gallon Rhino Tank System: Main filter should be replaced every six years
- 1,000,000 Gallon Rhino System: Main filter should be replaced every ten years
- OptimH2O Whole House System: Main filter should be replaced once a year
If you’re using our whole house water conditioner, we recommend you replace your filter every 6 years or 600,000 gallons.
The Aquasana post-filters are all standard to whole house systems and should be replaced every six to 12 months, depending on sediment levels.
The Aquasana UV lamp is a popular addition for many whole house users that helps protect homeowners from bacteria and water-boil warnings. We recommend that you replace your UV lamp every 12 months.
Under Sink Drinking Filter Systems
Because of the size of the under sink drinking filters in your kitchen, they’ll need to be replaced the most frequently. Here’s how that breaks down.
- OptimH2O Reverse Osmosis + Claryum Filter System
- 2-Stage Under Counter Filter
- Claryum 2-Stage Drinking Water Replacement Filters: Replace every 6 months or 500 gallons
- 3-Stage Under Counter Filter
- Claryum 3-Stage Drinking Water Replacement Filters: Replace every 6 months or 600 gallons
- 3-Stage Max Flow Under Counter Filter
- Claryum 3-Stage Max Flow Drinking Water Replacement Filters: Replace every 6 months or 800 gallons
Countertop Drinking Filter Systems
Our most compact and portable filters are our countertop filter systems. This includes the Claryum Countertop Filter, and our most popular, the Clean Water Machine. Filters for both systems will need to be replaced every 6 months.
The BPA-free shower filter reduces 90% of chlorine, other harmful chemical vapors, and enhances pH balance. Made from patented copper/zinc media and coconut shell carbon, Aquasana’s shower filter replacement cartridges also last approximately six months.
Get Replacement Filters Auto-Shipped When You Need Them
A dirty filter can become a source of bacteria and mold, and can eventually cause your system to stop working altogether. That’s why we started Water for Life — our filtration subscription service.
Water For Life will keep track of when it’s time to change your filters and will ship a new batch to your door when you need it. The benefits of Water For Life include:
- Auto-delivery when it’s time to replace your filters
- 15% off the price of replacement filters
- Free shipping
- Extended warranty — free replacement parts any time you need them
- No contract required
To get started with Water For Life, simply add a product to your cart using the red Water For Life button, or reach out to one of our Water Experts at 866-662-6885 or email@example.com.
Replacing your water filters means you’ll have access to clean, healthy water again and again. Gone are the days where drinking water means you’re also drinking the contaminants you’ve worked so hard to remove — finally, you can drink with confidence.